Finding a Doctor to Prescribe Hormones 

In general, it is a great idea for trans folks to have a doctor with whom they feel comfortable. Although starting or continuing hormone therapy may be your number one goal, you will likely have other health needs in the future. We have listed some doctors and clinics that are known to work well with transgender clientele. If you have feedback about our referrals, or would like to suggest another provider, please contact us.

Paths to Hormone Therapy

  • There are two medical ways to obtain hormone therapy. Both work, and there are times when each works better than the other.

  • First: meet with a therapist, he/she will provide guidance about the process, the therapist will work with your doctor as your advocate, and write a letter to them referring you for treatment. This is the method the majority of doctors prefer.

  • Second: Informed Consent. This cuts out the therapist. It is best indicated for clients who are already on hormones, or who have been on them in the past.

  • If you aren’t sure which method to choose, we are happy to consult with you regarding which option would be best for you (we don’t always recommend therapy first).

Trans-Friendly Physicians/Physician Offices

We do not recommend or express preference for any of the physicians referenced. Listing professionals here does not constitute an endorsement of their services, skills, or practice. We have not received compensation from any individuals listed here.

Dickenson County

Genesee County

Grand Traverse County

Houghton County

Ingham County

Kalamazoo County

Kent County

Macomb County

Marquette County

Mecosta County

Monroe County

Muskegon County

Oakland County

Ottawa County

Washtenaw County

Wayne County

Thank you to Transgender Michigan for their assistance in gathering some of the resources listed here.